Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Dallas Metro 1/2 Marathon

13.1
  
2:35:46

Last weekend I ran the Dallas Metro PCS ½ Marathon and actually finished with some energy at the end.

I ran for my mom who had two major surgeries this year and is still going strong.  She continues to be an inspiration for me each and every day.

I ran for my dad who was a marathon runner back in the day.  He always taught me to go out slower than you come in. I remember him telling my brother and I that at the Holy Name of Jesus fun run one year and I was like “WHATEVER!”  For the first time ever, my last three miles were my fastest.

My goal was to finish in 2.5 hours.  My official time was 2:42 but we had a 7-minute bathroom break so technically it was 2:35.  I will take it.  Below are some little tidbits you can learn from long distance running.

Set a goal- No matter what you are aiming for, it is always in your best interest to set a goal.  Goals make things measurable and make you accountable.  When I started running in July, the idea of 4 miles almost killed me.  No matter what time I ran, the hot Texas sun exhausted me before I could finish a mile.  Because a mile seemed daunting, I started with time measurements.  Run for 10 minutes, run for 12 minutes, ect.  After I built up stamina, it was easier to run for 1 mile, run 2 ect.

Preparation is key- Yes, I know there are natural born athletes, scholars, leaders, ect., but must people work and prepare to get to where they are in life.  I have only run one other ½ and that was back in 2006.  It was the rock and roll ½ in Virginia Beach and I remember at mile nine I was completely done. It was hard.  This go around my runs were easier.  I followed a training guide and even though I did not want to always do what was recommended, I did it and I was stronger for it.  Cross training is so important with long distance running.  You are still getting a cardio work out but also strengthening and stretching other muscles.

Buddy Up- I am so thankful that I got motivated enough to recruit my Houston running partner Monique. She made me accountable and would always listen to my complaints, specifically the weather.  It was too hot until late November and then I immediately started complaining it was too cold. 

Learn how to measure your success- Different things motivate different people.  Managers recognize this with employees, parents recognize this with children, and the list goes on.  Once you start to really know yourself and what motivates you, things get easier.  A majority of long distance runners measure success by time.  For some, it is simply weight management. For me, for this race, my success was measured with the internal feeling of knowing that I am physically fit.  I have built up endurance and stamina and that is a great feeling.  Keeping up with Logan and Catherine is a job that requires a physically fit mom.

Simplicity-  Keep things simple.  I struggle with this on a daily basis.  About a month into training my iPod broke and it had to be replaced. I went straight to Apple to get a new one because why would I ever consider buying anything but an Apple product at this point?  I bought the smallest iPod they offered (literally the size of a quarter) and it holds 1,000s of songs.  So what is the first thing I do? Load thousands of songs.  The problem was that each run I would get frustrated with 90% of the songs and would skip through most of them.  Finally, I wiped my iPod clean, and only added songs one at a time.  My playlist rocks and it only has 42 songs on it.  Less is more. Simplicity is key.

A few other takeaways from the weekend are that I will never run a marathon.  That is for the super intense and very dedicated. My running partners were Monique and Catherine. Monique is a natural childbirth instructor and Catherine is an OBGYN.  Let’s just say that conversations were very baby and birth oriented.  I think Brian, or any guy for that manner, would have felt uncomfortable with some of our birthing stories.










Bizarre retail display in downtown Dallas




1 comment: