Thursday, August 23, 2012

Take Two


Last week was quite a long one as we had three ear infections between two kids.  Never had that before and, I can honestly say, never want to have that again.

Two weeks back at Logan’s 6-month follow up with his ENT, we found out his right ear tube had fallen out, which is normal, but that the middle ear canal was filled with fluid.  Sometimes (most times I am told), when a tube falls out, the ear naturally corrects and drains.  Well, we scheduled Logan for his second set of tubes (& adenoid removal) on the 22nd.  At the time, the 22nd was two weeks out, so I left the ENT knowing that “acute otitis media” was making its way to Logan’s right ear.

No problem.  I can handle one ear infection.  Got that down.

What I was not prepared for was the fact that “little baby red head,” who up until this month, had been my laid-back, calm child, developed a double ear infection.  Standing fluid in both ears.  Should have gone to the pediatrician on Friday, but of course, waited until Monday (very long weekend & not the relaxing kind) to take her. So when I realized Catherine’s ear infection count had risen pretty quickly in the past 5 months (5 infections in 5 months and she was breastfed and not in daycare…for whatever that is worth), I knew it was time to see the ENT.

The problem is that our insurance is changing at the end of the month and I wanted to get Catherine in to see the ENT, conduct her hearing test, and schedule her surgery all within 3 weeks.  Possible but not probable.

In comes Riffat Sikander, Dr. Albright’s (ENT) nurse.  I called her directly (we are pretty tight from Logan’s frequent visits) that Tuesday and kindly told her that I recognized scheduling appointments and hearing test was not part of her job description, but that I needed a big favor.  I needed to get in on Dr. Albright’s calendar the same week and have her tubes scheduled this month, ideally the same time as Logan’s surgery.  Anyway, she was my savior!  She did it all and I had Cat’s first visit for that Thursday and she got her tubes yesterday with Logan.

Anyone who knows me well, or at least recently, knows about my complete obsession with the health care industry, billing, insurance, you name it.  So, I was beyond excited to receive personal thoughtful care from my doctor’s nurse and relieved that she empathized with me enough to go out of her way to help us.

Pre-op in a wagon with gloves.

They gave Logan a sedative before his surgery & I tried to get a script to take home!  It was magical.



She is still so little even though she is getting so big.

Logan waking from anesthesia



1 comment:

  1. Oh Joan! I feel for you. It is so hard to send the little ones into surgery even if it isn't "major" it feels major as a parent. We should talk about the health care industry sometime because I am right there with you.

    ReplyDelete