Thursday, July 25, 2013

Finding Joy


I subscribe to a parenting blog called Finding Joy.  It talks about the joyous moments in motherhood and the not-so-joyous ones as well.  I enjoy the honesty and candidness of the writer.  I can relate to her a lot.  So I have started my own joy journal and I am documenting the little things during the day that give me joy. Sometimes it is the normal everyday routine  (i.e. my morning cup of coffee with no major interruptions or catastrophes).  Sometimes it is the big events, like holidays or vacations that fill you with gratitude and joy.  Often though, I find these joyous moments are embedded in the ordinary, every day, moments in our lives.

I was picking Logan up at school yesterday and when I looked through the window I saw him looking in his friend’s mouth which was wide open.  I smiled from ear to ear because I knew he was searching for cavities.  (In an attempt to market teeth brushing, I have given him an overview on cavities.) 

Logan’s story telling has become very creative and amazes me at times.  On Friday we were headed to the airport to pick up Brian as he had been out of town for 2 weeks.  Logan told me that daddy was sitting next to a Stegosaurus on the plane and that they had shared peanuts.  That same joyous smile came across my face. 

Catherine definitely brings her fair share of joy to this momma too.  She is constantly trying to win over Winston’s heart.  The other day she grabbed a plastic doughnut and was trying to feed it to Winston.  He clearly was not interested and she was getting upset.  She kept saying “Ton Ton dough dough now.”  I find joy in her innocence, as I know very soon she will realize that the plastic food won’t work and that Winston only wants the real deal.

The days where joy is in full abundance, well, those are the best.  But, not every day is like that.   Yesterday morning, for example, would be a day where I had to “find the joy” as it was not jumping out at me.  I woke up and immediately stepped on Logan’s toy airplane, puncturing my foot.  It seriously HURT.  Before I could even stop the bleeding, I had to get to Catherine as Logan kept saying “Catherine poo pooed not in the potty”.  Let’s just say she is done with wearing diapers and she takes them off when and where she wants. Sometimes she goes in the potty and sometimes she does not.  It was one of those mornings where it takes a full hour just to get back to your original starting point.  Days like that, I actually have to go out and “find” my joy.  Thankfully though, it is always right in front of me.






L&C playing together (respectfully) = joy

L&C making each other laugh = joy





Logan's endless energy = joy (and non-joy)

Seeing things through their eyes = joy






1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful entry! And I especially like the photo of Catherine and the dinosaur!

    ReplyDelete