Monday, August 18, 2014

Happy Birthday to ME!

Five years ago today (8/18/2009), I received the best birthday present ever when I found out I was pregnant that Tuesday morning before work. It was my 31st birthday (you can do the math to figure out how old I am)!  I remember calling Brian in Venezuela to share with him our good news.  I remember eating Lupe Tortilla for lunch and obsessing over whether I should stick with my normal diet coke option, be healthy (since I was expecting after all) and order water, or get crazy and order a real deal coke.  I ordered the coke and it never tasted so good.

That afternoon, I remember being exempt from my normal 3pm post Mexican food coma because I was so super excited about our new chapter.  Maybe I was going to be the first pregnant woman who was not tired at all during any part of her pregnancy?

Clearly, that did not happen.  Actually, come to think of it, a lot of things did not happen the way I thought they would when I envisioned life as a "mom".  Honestly, looking back, I don't even know how one can even potentially comprehend just how much life changes when you become a parent.  You have an idea, I guess, of how you have to take care of yourself, your marriage, your career, or anything else that is of meaning to you, while also taking care of your new born bundle of joy.  If you get nothing else from this post, know that even if your perception of parenthood is far from the realities (and for me this has indeed been true), the journey is marvelous and truly one of life's purest joys.

Fast forward five years and here we are today.  Logan started his first full day of PK-4 and Brian and I are proud parents.  We are so very grateful and thankful to begin this new chapter with him.  He was very confident this morning and not a tear was shed.  Grant it, our morning together was a bit short as we were in a rush to get to morning assembly by 7:45am, but I will take it.  Now, if only I can take my own advice and spend a little less time worrying and little more time knowing.









1 comment:

  1. Wonderful wonderful pix! I so much enjoy watching your kids grow up!

    ReplyDelete