Monday, June 4, 2012

Red Beans & Rice

We all know that May is a busy month.  Well, May 2012 was no exception in our household.  One of the many things that I learned this past month (both positive and negative) was that Catherine is anemic.  It's kinda ironic because I was convinced Logan was not getting enough iron and never thought that maybe Cat was not.  Regardless, I have been feeding her lots of beans along with other foods and iron supplements.  

I know I have gotten countless recipes from my friends blogs so I wanted to return the favor.  

Happy Monday.

Red Beans

Ingredients
1 lb beans (Camellia are my favorites)
1 onion
2 sticks of celery (off the stalk)
½ bulb garlic
1 ham hock
1 lb sausage (I prefer Kielbasa)
3-5 squirts Tabasco
1 tbs Tony’s (heaping or any other Cajun seasoning)
Other seasoning to taste if needed

Directions
Night Before – Rinse beans and put into pot with water covering them by 2 inches.  Bring pot to rolling boil.  Stir.  Turn off stove and let soak over night.

Next Day (anytime) – If beans have soaked up water, add more, about 1 inch above bean line.  Add seasoning, crushed garlic, diced onions, celery and ham hock.  Bring to a heavy simmer.  Stir occasionally so bottom of beans don’t burn.  Cook on medium for 1 hour and 15 minutes…keep stirring occasionally.  After about 1.25 to 1.5 hours, beans should be able to smash to side of pot.  Smash some up to create a thicker sauce.  Add sausage at 1.5 hours and cook for 15 minutes or until sausage is hot. (most sausages are pre-cooked so you are really just heating it up) Serve.

- If you find that the ham hock is too salty, you can always do 2lbs of beans for one ham hock
- When I do a double batch, I use 1 package of Zatarains Red Bean seasoning mix INSTEAD of the     tony’s…good luck finding that in Texas grocery stores though.
- In my calorie counting days, I used a turkey Kielbasa which works fine as well.
- Lastly, beans are a perfect freezer food.   



2 comments:

  1. I am going to make this next week. Thanks for the recipe. Hope Catherine is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are crazy to do all that work! Just have your mom make you a whole lot, put it into freezer containers and bring it up to you, like I do :) lol!

    ReplyDelete