Sunday, August 18, 2013

Not a good day

Last Saturday was not a good day.  It could have been worse, and I thank God it was not.  But all in all, it was not a good day.  Winston bit Catherine's lip while he was eating a dog treat. The truth is I did not even see it happen. I gave him a treat in the kitchen (kids were in Logan's room) and the next thing I knew Catherine was screaming with blood all over her face.   I almost passed out just at the sight of my precious baby girl bleeding so much.  It took me a full 5 seconds to realize that I had to help her as she was not going to be able to help herself.

A small piece of her lip was missing.  It could have been a lot worse, I do realize this, but it did not make me feel any better. She calmed down pretty quickly and  I wish I could say the same for her mother.  This is where I started balling.  I was crying for her and for me.  I was doubting my ability as a mom to protect my children from harm.  I was also convinced my beloved puppy had turned Cujo and would need to be euthanized.  Because Brian was out of town, I was solo in the decision making department.  I finally got it together and made my way to an Urgent Care facility.  The doctor advised us to go to Children's because she would need to be put under so the lip could be "realigned" and we needed a pediatric oral surgeon to do this.

Once Brian got home, I made my way to Children's and after 8 hours, Catherine was all stitched up and ready to go.  The surgeon made me feel SO much better in that 90% of dog bites are from the family dog and food related ones are considered better.  I guess if a dog bites a toddler with no known cause then you have a bigger problem on your hands.

Catherine is well on her road to recovery and hopefully will have minimal, if any, scaring.  Winston and her are still best buds however any and all food given to Winston is now outside.  I am thankful for the medical treatment we received and obviously thankful it was not worse.  I am praying for all the kids at Children's Hospital, that had or have life threatening illnesses, that they may continue to find strength and hope.  I am also praying for their parents as well.






.

2 comments:

  1. Poor little Catherine! Oh I'm sure you just hated to see your baby in the hospital like that. You are right that it could have been much worse so thankfully this was something small. Although it does sound extremeley stressful especially having to deal with it alone. I would have been completely freaked out! You are an amazing mamma, good job taking care of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. You did a great job of holding it together. I am impressed. And you are a great mother!

    ReplyDelete